User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

AT LEAST two people have been injured in a shooting at a mosque in Istanbul, according to Turkish media reports.

Just hours after a gunman opened fire at a nightclub in the Turkish capital, gunfire was reported at the Hasan Pasha Mosque on Monday, Turkish Dogan News Agency (DHA) said.

The attacker reportedly fired a pump-action shotgun at worshippers gathered for prayer.

IB Times reports the shooting was due to a family dispute and was not politically motivated.

The gunman is reportedly related to the victims and has now been detained.

The attack comes as Turkish police hunt a gunman who killed at least 39 people and injured dozens more at the Reina nightclub in Istanbul, where revellers were celebrating the New Year.

Originally published asGunman opens fire at Istanbul mosque

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

MOGADISHU: Twin suicide car bombs claimed by the Al-Qaeda aligned Shabab insurgent group wounded nine people Monday at the entrance to Mogadishu’s fortified airport and a nearby hotel, officials said.
The first blast occurred at the Medina Gate entrance to Mogadishu airport, home to the UN, aid agencies and foreign missions and contractors as well as the headquarters of the African Union military mission, AMISOM.
Soon afterwards another, larger vehicle exploded outside the Peace Hotel, popular with foreign visitors to Somalia.
The blasts left a scene of destruction with rubble strewn across the road and some nearby villas all but collapsed, however there were no immediate reports of fatalities other than the bombers.
“The number of casualties was very minimal compared to the magnitude of the blast,” said Abudkadir Mohamed, a security officer, adding that “at least nine people were wounded” including two of the hotel’s security guards.
The Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement issued by its Anadalus Radio media arm.
“The Mujahedeen fighters carried out two suicide attacks one of them targeting a checkpoint alongside the road to Halane,” the statement said using the local name for the airport compound.
“This was to clear the way for another bomber who was driving a truck which targeted Peace Hotel.”
The Shabab is fighting to overthrow the internationally backed government in Mogadishu and regularly uses suicide bombers against government, military and civilians.
Mogadishu airport is a regular target but this is the first time the well-known and popular Peace Hotel has been attacked.
Somalia is in the midst of a drawn-out election process to choose a new government with most of the parliamentarians sworn in last week.

 

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation has scheduled an emergency meeting with foreign ministers following the disclosure Sunday of a video posted online of Myanmar police officers beating Rohingya Muslim villagers.
Myanmar news outlets broadcast the video and it went viral on social media. It depicted several police officers beating and kicking two villagers who were among dozens of Rohingya Muslims being questioned during a military sweep of the region.
The video is rare documentation of abuses by the Myanmar government against Rohingya Muslims in a region virtually closed to non-governmental organizations and aid workers.
Maha Akeel, spokeswoman for the Jeddah-based OIC, told Arab News that the OIC has been “following up closely the situation in Myanmar with the Rohingya villagers for a few months now, and all the attacks, abuses, beatings and burning of their villages.”
“The OIC will hold an emergency meeting at the level of foreign ministers on Jan. 19 in Malaysia to discuss the dangerous violations committed against the Rohingya Muslims,” Akeel said, “and to make a decision to (bring) an end to this humanitarian crisis and take practical steps in terms of humanitarian aid to find a political resolution to grant this persecuted group their full rights.”
The beatings occurred during a crackdown by Myanmar army on Nov. 5 that sent Rohingya Muslims, number about 34,000, fleeing into Bangladesh, according to the United Nations. The operations have led to allegations of abuses, summary executions and rape of villagers. The government of Aung San Suu Kyi has denied the allegations.
However, Suu Kyi’s office confirmed the authenticity of the footage and noted that it recorded by a police officer during a clearance operation in northern Rakhine State.
“Action will be taken against police who allegedly beat villagers,” Suu Kyi’s office said in a statement.
Four policemen have been identified by name, including the leader of the operation. “Further investigations are being carried out to expose other police officers who beat villagers,” the statement said.
The violence in Rakhine State has renewed international criticism that Nobel Peace Prize winner Suu Kyi has done too little to help members of the Muslim minority, who are denied citizenship in predominantly Buddhist Myanmar.

 

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

JAKARTA: Donald Trump’s Indonesian business partner has revealed he may follow the example of the brash US billionaire and run for president, a report said Monday.
Hary Tanoesoedibjo, who is building two Trump Organization projects, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation he was considering becoming a candidate in Indonesia’s 2019 presidential elections for the sake of the country.
“If there is no one I can believe who can fix the problems of the country, I may try to run for president,” said the media mogul and property developer, who has his own political party.
“We need a leader with integrity who can bring a solution for the country,” the 51-year-old billionaire added.
If Tanoesoedibjo were to be successful, it could mean there are two world leaders who have been business partners, raising fresh concerns about potential conflicts of interest related to Trump’s business empire.
Trump, who will be inaugurated on Jan. 20, has sought to allay worries by insisting that “no new deals” will be struck during his presidency and that his two sons will manage his companies.
In Indonesia, Tanoesoedibjo is working on a Trump project outside Jakarta and one on the resort island of Bali, with both in the early stages.
The project close to Jakarta is a 700-hectare (1,700-acre) development that includes a luxury hotel, a golf course, a country club and villas, according to the Trump Hotels website. The Bali resort will be built on a clifftop overlooking a famous temple.
In an earlier interview with the New York Times, Tanoesoedibjo insisted he did not believe the projects represented a conflict of interest for the president-elect.
“His family and children have the freedom to do business as long as it is arm’s length and unrelated to the president’s position,” he said.
The businessman, whose interests include media company MNC Group, said he has access to Trump although his day-to-day contact is mostly with the children.
“I have access to him, of course, because we are in cooperation, but I have to limit the cooperation and interaction,” he told the ABC.
Tanoesoedibjo has long had political ambitions. He made an unsuccessful attempt to win nomination as a vice presidential candidate for 2014 elections and has now started his own party, United Indonesia.

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

RIYADH: The Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage signed an agreement with the Chinese National Heritage Department to conduct excavations at Al-Sirreen heritage site in Al-Lith governorate in the west of the Kingdom.

The signing took place during the second day of a Saudi exhibition at the National Chinese Museum in the capital Beijing.
Ali Al-Ghabban, deputy president and general supervisor for the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Cultural Heritage Program, said that work is underway to form a Saudi-Chinese team to start excavations.
He said that speeding up this agreement meets the request of the SCTH president during the opening of the exhibition at the National Chinese Museum.
A special visit was organized to the Marine Heritage Center in China on the second day of the exhibition. The center is submerged underwater and is affiliated with the Chinese Archaeological Department.
The agreement is related to cultural heritage and aims to carry out excavations at Al-Sirreen heritage site, which is a port located in the Red Sea. The port existed during the Islamic period and was one of the important and vital economic locations in the province.
Al-Ghabban said a joint Saudi-Chinese team will carry out excavations at the site, in addition to surveying underwater locations in the port. The site has pieces, which is a type of Chinese mosaic that was imported from China during that period, and was well known during the Song and Tung dynasties, which coincided with the Ummayad and Abbasid periods, which is almost 1,000 years ago.
“We expect the formation of work teams and excavations to start within two months, and the result of this work will be very important in revealing more information about ancient commercial relations between China and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” he added.
“Work is underway to form the Chinese team to participate with the Saudi team in this important work; work is also underway to issue all agreements and procedures to receive the Chinese team officially,” he said.
A team from the Chinese Archaeological Department has already visited the site and admired its nature and archaeological make-up, and it is ready to start surveying and excavating the site.
Al-Sirreen historical site is located on the west coast of the Kingdom, in Al-Lith governorate. It is a well-known port on the Red Sea and used to be a small town, but at the end of the 5th Century Hijri, it became one of the greatest ports on the Red Sea. By the 8th Century Hijri, the port was abandoned. The port is still visible and stands witness to many cultural events, which are seen in the basis of the buildings, the writings, pottery remains, mosaics and glasswork.
Al-Sirreen was an important town on the Yemen-Al-Hijaz road. The port played an important role on the marine trade routes in the Red Sea, especially the eastern ports, as well as interior cities and villages.

Powered by Spearhead Software Labs Joomla Facebook Like Button